“I Am An Advocate For Songs That Express Depths Of God's Word”- Hassel [@Jimmy_hassel] Shares On Mit Me - Pricherman116.com | Nigerian / Foreign Gospel Songs | Christian Hip Hop | News | Interviews | Events

Search For Gospel Music | Lyrics | Events | News...

HOT POSTS

Post Top Ad


November 07, 2016

“I Am An Advocate For Songs That Express Depths Of God's Word”- Hassel [@Jimmy_hassel] Shares On Mit Me


It's another episode of MIT ME guys. Today, we have a fast rising rapvangelist named Hassel. Join us on a ride to know him better... 

Boluwaji: Good day and welcome to 'Mit Me'; Pricherman116 Blog's Exclusive interview session. Let's meet you sir

Hassel: Thank you. My name is Olawoyin Folajimi. I write songs and I sing them and I do Christian rap songs too. I am a  Fashion designer with my fashion brand Hassel wears. I hold a degree in Botany from the University of Lagos. My life; my Values are deeply rooted in God's word.

Boluwaji: Hnmm. Great. You're a botanist, Fashion Designer and music minister. How do you put these together?

Hassel: Lol. Yes I am. Well, for now, I am managing the fashion business and the music. (Managing as in learning, improving and a considerable amount of practical application).
I just recently graduated so botany is waiting in line to be used.

Boluwaji: Hmm. Since you loved music and fashion designing which are obviously art related, why did you chose to study 'botany' in the university?

Hassel: "Smart kids join the science department".They said. You know the rest. I always knew that the dissimilarities between whatever course of study I chose and the art (music), I would still make great songs regardless and that took long enough. (It used to be just music; fashion came after).

Boluwaji: There's usually a time when you discover something about yourself. How and when did you discover music in yourself?

Hassel: Well, for myself, I remember I started writing as far back as 2001 and the lyrics and singing improved through the years as they still are improving. The discovery was no major event, I just always loved to write stories and draw mini comics.

Boluwaji: Doing music professionally, you chose to do rap music even though it's Gospel. Why not praise, worship or any other genre?

Hassel: I do worship songs too. In fact, that was what I was known for by a few back in the University of Lagos. I still do those.

I am an advocate for songs that express depths of God's word. Doing rap or spoken words affords you that opportunity, much more an opportunity to teach God's word, stimulate inquisitiveness and of course reach people that would listen to rap for the love of rap apart from the not-so-concealed intent (soul-saving).

Boluwaji: The church hasn't really accepted rap music as a medium of preaching the Gospel. A whole lot of 'Christians' think it's the devil's kind of music. How do you relate with this?

Hassel: Haha. That I know. And for mine, I say thank God. I have had people who have previously expressed displeasure in rap altogether regardless of its intent make positive comments and importantly, on the lyrics and how it ministers to them.

The resistance is dying with time. Since I started, I have not gotten any upfront confrontation though (of such I look forward to; so I can shed light to whomever).

It is far from my intent though to proselytize any to view rap thus, I believe the message will get to the intended few eventually and we have just enough supporters.

Boluwaji: True. What has been your greatest joy doing music?

Hassel: Definitely the lives being reached and still so the prospects of reaching more.

Boluwaji: Since you started music official, how many albums / tracks have you released?

Hassel: Just two sir😁.

Boluwaji: The first track you did was titled 'What Can I Do' and it was like a rap version of Tye Tribbett's original version. The second one also had a worship song infused in it. Are you on a mission to do rap versions of worship songs?


Hassel: On a mission, lol. Yes I am living that mission.

I am actually not bent on that. I'll make rap songs to whatever beats I find interesting and at whatever pace I'm comfortable with. What's important is the clarity of my expressions.

Boluwaji: Hmnn. Inspiring. That makes me want to ask, what inspires you to write songs?

Hassel: The Love of Christ; this is borne from revelation knowledge. This is an offshoot of spiritual sight (seeing life through God's eyes and sharing in His intentions). I have found meaning (to a good extent) which I once didn't, I have grown as far as God has taken me, I have had my share of falling and rising and experienced the working of God's deliverance countless times. I always want to put them as "victory notes", tie them to scriptures and use them to express the endless possibilities of greatness found in Christ

Boluwaji: Awesome. You've dished out great messages in your previous tracks. Have you got something new coming our way soon?

Hassel: Thanks. Yes I do. I couple of them lined up. And soon means soon. Haha

Boluwaji: Are you working on featuring any artiste in future releases?

Hassel: Non concrete for now. But yes, that is a must do. Right now I am working on couple of songs I am being featured on.

Boluwaji: Where do you see yourself in the nearest future? Let's say 5 years from now?

Hassel: Haha. I am currently sowinng seeds.

It is true we can with today's actions create an afore envisioned future. A number of great songs are in line to be completed and released, a tour by God's grace is under consideration and lots more things to aid the ministry soon will be in place. I expect that these would foster more penetration even beyond our national borders.
I don't necessarily see a future with just a large fan-base, but i see a ministry which has added to it daily a population of God-seeking people who have been reached by the light we preach intentionally.

So I expect the nearest future to have in it the Hassel that has reached millions of people, the Hassel that has stimulated the much needed change in thousands of lives, one that is actively involved in the success journeys of individuals and nations alike. This I affirm is not me being over-ambitious or just a mere conjuring of unrealistic feats. This is where I believe my music and my fashion is headed.

Boluwaji: Hmmm lips sealed (smiles).

Do you have a mentors/role models you look up to both in the music ministry and fashion industry?

Hassel: Strange as it may seem.

I admit to having just a mentor; he's not into the fashion business nor can he sing. I also have a good number of seasoned advisers amongst my peer (with the majority not in any of the mentioned sectors). I grew up almost overly dependent on scriptures, books and articles to help me attend to life matters and not until some 3 years ago did I start consulting humans in life issues.

For role models, I appreciate too many people to pick one as my role model. I simply learn from as many stories and teachings as I can.

Boluwaji: How do you intend on preaching the Gospel through your fashion brand?


Hassel: What is the preaching of the gospel if it doesn't tell of the death, burial and resurrection of Christ? Of a truth, my enterprise makes more wears without prints than it does those with prints. So about the preaching of the gospel, i have the music (Hasselspeakz) for that. And on the fashion basis, I have heard Dr Myles Munroe of blessed memory in one of His teachings say that "Our success impacts on God's reputation". Together with the founding purpose of Hasselwears is a capacity building plan that transcends the drive to put wears on flesh; this is still under constructive development and in due time would be open for the participation of customers and the general public alike.

John Maxwell wrote in His book, "The measure of leadership is influence - nothing more, nothing less"

I believe the true measure of success is positive impact to the individual level, for therein is a connection made and after the establishment of such connection, there is no barrier to the introduction of truth.

Boluwaji: Hmm true. Deep! Chai... I feel like going on and on cos you've been ministering to and motivating myself at the same time (smiles). We've got to go though so a few more questions.

You being a preacher of the good news through music in a world and particularly a country like our dear Nigeria, do you see your kind of music bringing about a kind of revival in the country, a kind of 'Change' that we all clamor for at the moment?

Hassel: Blessed be the God and father of our Lord Jesus Christ who causes all grace to abound towards us. God being our sufficiency, the answer is .YES. . Yes to revival, yes to change, yes to everything that rids the world of darkness.

Boluwaji: What do you do in your at your leisure time?

Hassel: Well, I read chapters from books, look up articles, attend to messages and online matters, hang out with a friend or more or just stay and introspect. This may not be the complete summary of all I do

Boluwaji: Are you signed to a record label yet?

Hassel: No, I am not

Pricherman: If you got a chance to feature a foreign artiste in your forthcoming projects, who would top your scale of preference?

Hassel: Haha,  I love Gemstones, I would love to feature Gemstones. He raps good and he's got fire

Boluwaji: Has there ever been a fan encounter that completely took you by surprise? If yes, how did it happen?

Hassel: Well, non so far has taken me by surprise.

And defining fan encounters,  I am talking about people whom I haven't previously had any real life contact with .taking time to contact me to tell me how the lyrics sparked something in them and then they go ahead to pray for me. They don't necessarily surprise me, they humble me and help me believe so much more in the ministry.

Boluwaji: If you could invent something different from all you're into right now, what would it be?

Hassel: Ermmm... If I were to invent something.... I'll create a world free from wickedness, full of peace and defined by love.


I'll create means to reorient and establish rather lost and self defeated people; I'll build a system that raises people from the dust, giving them not just a means to stand upright but also empowering them to raise another and change the world.. 🏃🏿🏃🏿🏃🏿🏃🏿

Boluwaji: Which is your favorite song at the moment?

Hassel: Between the two I have put out, I cannot really point out. My favorite songs are still on paper [lol]

Boluwaji: Are you into a relationship?

Hassel: (smiles) Ermm. Technically, I am not in a relationship at the moment.

Boluwaji: Before you go, any words for your fans and friends our there?

Hassel: To fans and friends out there, I implore to remain in step with the Spirit.

Boluwaji: How can you be reached in case some of us still got questions for you or for any other businesses?

Hassel: Jimihassel@gmail.com or contact me though my phone number ... 07065396783


Boluwaji: Thanks for your time on Mit Me! We celebrate you and hope to See you more in the nearest future...

Hassel: Thanks too for the privilege.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Bottom Ad