'I started off with the drums at the age of 3 and then developed sudden love for the piano at the age of 5' Popular Music Producer SMJ shares on 'MIT ME' [@sammyyoungjnr] - Pricherman116.com | Nigerian / Foreign Gospel Songs | Christian Hip Hop | News | Interviews | Events

Search For Gospel Music | Lyrics | Events | News...

HOT POSTS

Post Top Ad


July 30, 2016

'I started off with the drums at the age of 3 and then developed sudden love for the piano at the age of 5' Popular Music Producer SMJ shares on 'MIT ME' [@sammyyoungjnr]

 
'Mit Me' is back with another exclusive interview!!! This time, our interviewer met one of Nigeria's finest musicians and music producer. Our guest is Tim Godfrey's official producer, music director and pianist for the popular Xtreme crew. You are about to know all you never knew about him... Come on board as we journey through his world.

Good day and welcome to 'Mit Me'; Pricherman116 Blog's Exclusive interview session.

My name is Boluwaji and I'm your interviewer.

Let's meet you sir.

My name is Samuel Giveson also known as S.M.J.

Welcome once again. We're glad to have you here. Our readers would love to know what you do exactly sir. A little more about yourself.

Ok... I'm a Music Producer and also the Music Director / Pianist for Tim Godfrey and XTREME..


Wow... Awesome. Before we go further in that direction, can you share with us your childhood and educational background?

Ok. My childhood was pretty funny and interesting.. I had to grow up in different environments, just to see what the different approaches to life were...and not forgetting the fact that my parents discovered my immediate love for music and sounds.. They immediately placed me in the hands of the people that were really musically good as at that time...

So, I started off with the drums at the age of 3 and then developed sudden love for the piano at the age of 5. That I did till my parents came to Lagos and it became a different story entirely from there. A Student of Yaba Tech at the moment studying computer Science also planning to move Forward  to a music school much later. Yes that's It.

It's almost unbelievable that you're still a student though (smiles). It's amazing! How do you manage schooling and music at the same time. Even as one of the major individuals in the Nigerian Gospel Music Industry?

Wow! Trust me it's not been easy. A lot of people have asked me how I cope with it. What I tell them is "Its music and education". I try to make sure I strike a balance between the two.

Even though music drives me more, what I do is; in 24hours, I break music and school into different times within 24hours so much that I don't pay too much attention to one and leave the other lacking which has really helped me. So I can do music during the day and reading at night or vice versa. Whichever way, both works for me.

Tim Godfrey and Xtreme is one of if not the biggest Gospel Crew in Nigeria at the moment. How do you feel being a part of the great team?

I feel really privileged and honored to work with such a great team of people with like-minds. There is nothing sweeter than having a team of people that have or share the same creative ideas with you! And to our father and leader, Tim Godfrey, who has  also placed our minds in a place where it's either 'Do or Die' as far as the Kingdom is concerned... once again, I feel really blessed to be part of such a wonderful family as "TimGodfrey N XTREME"


How did you become the pianist for Xtreme and Tim's music producer?

Well, the first time I ever got to see Tim Godfrey was the year 2010 when he came to my church (TFOLC) to minister. Then, I was quite little and so I had to play for the youth church before Tim Godfrey Xtreme crew would come on stage. That was when Sunday Nweke (Masterkraft) discovered me. It was my first 'dream come true' and I was always going to see him at his studio until one Day when Tim Godfrey said I should come with him to rehearsals...

I came and was asked to play. I was really scared and shy, just did my best sha and then next thing he announced was that I was part of the team! That moment, to cry or to laugh, I no know which one do me sef.. (laughs)

That has always been my dream and I remember I used to say when I was little that 'one day I would Play/Produce for Xtreme...' That's where God has brought me to today.

Wow. What a great God we serve.

While growing up, were there people you looked up to as role models or mentors in the music industry?

Yea. You know, we used to score all the kinds of urban contemporary music growing up. From the Bob Fitts to Darlene Zcech, to the Potters House so then, I came across a man at age 12/13, 'Bro Richard' at the Fountain of Life Church who showed me what it meant to really play the piano out of the mind.

I Just used to look at him play at that time in so much amazement because that was where I wanted to be at that time. Right from my childhood, I have always aspired to explore and be very adventurous at what I do.

Afterwards, I met a couple of other people who influenced me thoroughly; the likes of Pa Josh,Bro Gbenga (Canada) and the rest of my bosses at that time but later on I started hearing of Sunday Nweke and literally everybody was like 'do you know him? do you know him?'...

Then, I heard one of his early releases which was like a 1min piano skit, only to find out he was a Nigerian cos I used to think he was one of those International pianists we all know and almost immediately, I started crying because you could feel the sincerity and passion from every note he played and then he had this 'signature sound' that always got to me every time I hear it. Ever since then, He became my mentor to the point people started calling me Sammy Nweke (laughs).
I scored every of his work from start to finish and trust me, God used him to be a huge blessing and inspiration to me during my 'growing-up process'.

Let's take a walk away from SMJ the pianist. Let's talk about the Producer SMJ now. When did you start producing music?


This would be very funny sha (smiles) I know when I wasn't in any musical environment, I used to make sounds from anything. Maybe my mouth or I use my hand to hit something or a bus passes and makes a sound and then I use that sound to make a rhythm. I knew sounds and rhythms where constant in my head even when I was doing non musical things.

So I think it was something that existed but I did not realize. It was about age 14. I would get on a Keyboard and try to put sounds together to make a full music cos I used to think 'what happens when in church, other musicians don't make service and I have to cover up making sure that nothing is lacking anywhere?'. That was when I developed deep interest in production. I did not even know it was called music production at that time (laughs) but yea, that was how it all started.

You seem to find joy in music. Has there ever been a time too felt bad from doing music? A time when you had a feeling of just quitting music for some other things?

I have never had any reason to quit music because it has been since my birth. It gives me joy every single time engage myself in it. Actually, instead I'll quit other things for music! (laughs)

(laughs) Great then. Seems the love is strong... 😄😄😄

After you joined Xtreme, you have ministered in so many places both in and outside the country, met great music ministers and so on... Which of these moments has been your favorite?

I would say every moment has been really great and awesome. I always feel blessed and honored to be part of the moments because I consciously always remind myself that I did not get there or meet the people I have met by my own power but by God's. So every one of them is my favorite (smiles).

Glory to God.

Tim Godfrey's popular track 'Amen' was produced by you... I remember hearing 'SMJ on the beat say amen' 😀... I believe a couple of other songs have also been produced by you. How do you get inspired to make such amazing beats. Anything particular that brings you inspiration?

Yea. I am very open and sensitive to anything and everything around cos they all carry a message.

God happens to be my greatest source of inspiration. You know I pray a very funny prayer point but it works for me. I ask God to give me a 'sound' and then, like magic, a tune just drops in my head and immediately, I try to create it!

70% are divine tunes that are God-given. The remaining 30% can be from other things, songs, feeling, just about anything...

Tim's FEARLESS concert which held last month in Lagos was and is still much talked about.  Apart from talking about it, you guys must have put in a lot to ensure a successful concert. How was the preparations like?


Yo man (smiles)... The preparations was so tasking, hectic, stressful, work, work, work, work 😢😢😢 e.t.c. (laughs) don't mind me...

But the heat was really really 'up there'.. Everybody had to be on point and on time delivery, no mistakes here and there...so we were all on our A+ games but in the end with the help of God it payed off. We remain Fearless!

How and when do you rehearse personally?

Everyday and everytime I get a chance to sit on the piano, for as long as forever. If that's possible.

When you're not doing music, what else keeps you busy. Your hobbies?

Hanging out with family/friends, internet research, playing football real life and game (laughs) and I also do a lot of thinking by myself.

Great.

Where do you see yourself in the nearest future? Let's say 5 years from now?

I strongly believe that in 5years, I would have raised an empire that will represent the Kingdom Of God out there in the world and let them know that we don't just do what we do but there's a reason behind what we're doing. #TeamS.M.J

Awesome.

What is your advise for going people out there who also want to become a great music producer like you in future?

Okay. Whatever chance you get to make music, please make sure you give your 100% best or don't give anything at all. There's someone out there waiting to be inspired and the spark-up might just start from You. Grace and Peace.

Wow. Great word...

Do you have any plans to  record music, probably a track by SMJ someday?

(laughs) Yes. I did one already for my birthday. But it was not official, just for listening pleasure. Look... but yea maybe or maybe not anything can happen.

Lol. Okay then. We're expectant.

It's been really good having you around sir. We'd not be taking further questions on this episode but before you go? How can our readers who have got more questions for SMJ the great pianist, producer and artiste reach you?


OK. You can holla at me
Via email: Sammyyoungjnr@gmail.com
Or Follow my Social media Handles
I.G - Samuel_Giveson
Facebook -Samuel Giveson
Twitter @sammyyoungjnr
God bless you!!!!!

God bless you too sir. Thanks for being here. We hope to get positive responses from you in subsequent times of need be we call on you 😀

Anytime, anytime

THE END

Connect with our interviewer; Boluwaji:
Facebook: Boluwaji Ayomide Eniola
Twitter / Instagram: @mistaboluwaji 
Snapchat: pricherman116
Telephone: 08154230259, 08107429333

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Bottom Ad