“I started with a word from God and not my own understanding” - Tomiwa Laleye, CEO, Prendoza Apparels Reveals In Interview With Pricherman116 Blog | @Prendoza_tees - Pricherman116.com | Nigerian / Foreign Gospel Songs | Christian Hip Hop | News | Interviews | Events

Search For Gospel Music | Lyrics | Events | News...

HOT POSTS

Post Top Ad


March 08, 2016

“I started with a word from God and not my own understanding” - Tomiwa Laleye, CEO, Prendoza Apparels Reveals In Interview With Pricherman116 Blog | @Prendoza_tees

Good evening and welcome to 'Mit Me' Pricherman116 Blog's exclusive interview session. May we know your name and what you do?

My name is Tomiwa Laleye.

You're welcome here sir. What exactly does Tomiwa do?

Thank you very much sir. Tomiwa Laleye is a graduate of the department of Electronics and Electrical Engineering, Obafemi Awolowo University. Currently awaiting service (to commence march 30, 2016). About what I do, I head an apparel branding company named PRENDOZA. You can call me a fashion entrepreneur.

Wow. A graduate of electrical engineering, who's into fashion... I love the way you said 'You can call me a fashion entrepreneur'. If it makes money, it makes sense right?... How did you swerve into fashion from engineering?

(Smiles) Exactly. Well, basically... I grew up becoming
a natural stylist, knowing the right colours to combine, telling my siblings what to wear and how to mix it up..... ...but when it came to being an  Engineer, people expect the geeky/ nerdy look, scruffy appearance, no social life, no fashion sense and all. I just had to differ, I told myself I was going to prove that being an engineer doesn't mean you become a book itself and shrink off your social life and fashion sense. Throughout my undergraduate years, you would never have guessed me to major in an engineering discipline and yes, I finished with a second class upper. So let's just say, I was already into fashion before engineering came in...we're just going to find a way to blend the two, afterall, together, it births creativity.




That's really cool. Yeah, we all know those fierce looking engineers everywhere who just stand like electric poles and all but you decided to stand out . What exactly has been your driving force? That thing that's kept you going all the while? Is it passion, money, what exactly?

Hmmm, I'd say PEOPLE. I'm a ‘people person’, I love meeting people, I love helping people. I told myself I would never turn down a person that seeks my help, if I won't be able to, I'd direct you to someone who can. It's really wonderful when people contact me about wanting a branded apparel, Infact, our slogan is “reveal your essence”. Because I get to interact with people, I should say “we” get to interact with people, (because I work with a team)...we help them to identify their personality, you help them express that which could not be voiced with their lips and one of the easiest way to do is with clothing. Remember I mentioned being a young stylist, I “HELPED” my siblings with their clothing selections. But your question is a general question and not about “PRENDOZA” itself.

So, charity is what gladdens your heart really?

Well, charity may not be the best word i'd use. I just Love to be a solution.

Great. Your name is Tomiwa. How did you get the brand name 'Prendoza'?

It was a God-given name. I kept thinking about what to name the brand and felt a strong urge to look for interpretations of the word Garment in different languages. "Prenda" is the Spanish word for garments. You have to agree, Prendoza does sound like a tongue (smiles).

(Smiles) Yeah actually. Obviously, after getting garments in Spanish, you prayed in tongues with ‘Spanish garments’ and got Prendoza... (laughs) Awesome!

The moment I saw "Prenda", the only thing that started coming to my mind was "Prendoza". It kept resonating.




That's great. Did you at some point learn fashion designing somewhere as an apprentice?

No. I look forward to some professional classes.

And you've been doing good without any training. That's great. After your NYSC, do you intend to get a job with your certificate or you'll rather remain your own boss?

I would build my career in the corporate world, putting enough money aside to invest effectively in my business, then make the switch when the time is right.

Before you left school you've been making money by doing what you love to do. A lot of university undergraduates today are studying a course because they were offered that when they couldn't get what they desired or probably because they just had to go to school to be called learned. What's your advise to such people?

I'd say they should embrace the  paradigm shift and trust God to work all things for their favour. I started with a word from God and not my own understanding and more importantly, they should invest in people, no matter what course of study engaged in, it is made up of people, life is made up of people and wealth is in people and so the number of people they are able to help/ meet in school would reflect a lot on the success scale. Nowadays, there's really no excuse for doing a course you don't like, there are so many e-learning platforms, enroll for online courses, learn things you want and be consistent. Wealth is L.U.C.K - Labour Under Correct Knowledge.

Hmmm... I think you're not just an engineer / fashion designer, you're you're a motivational speaker too.

(Smiles) By the way, the most important factor is to trust God.

Sure. I've not seen much of your work but I saw just one that blew my mind. You branded 'Ogbeni Gba Jesu Jo' (meaning accept Christ) on a vest and it was lovely. What inspires you to do such branding?

We've all had that ‘before Christ’ moment and everybody tags you as a bad guy n all, but having fallen in Love with God with an understanding of His plans for me, I had to let the world know too....but the issue was this, how do I go about preaching Christ and still maintain my social life without people calling me SU and such, most people believe the moment you're born again, then it's bye bye to cool shirts, shoes, and all, it becomes less dressing, sandals, or worn out shoes, over blown shirts, and carrying a bible everywhere...I believe that while it is our duty to evangelise Christ, you don't have to conform to the norm, it can be done creatively and I have chosen to do that with shirts, polos, hoodies, almost anything you can wear. There are a lot of people out there who want to preach the Gospel but hide because of what friends would say and being tagged names, PRENDOZA gives a platform to express your love for God without violating your personality.




That's great. (Applauses) Prendoza can obviously help us Prich without even talking. (Grins) I'd love that experience... We're about to go and It's been really nice having you here bro. Before you leave, how can people who probably want to learn from you or need you to help them express their love towards God contact you?

That's the way bro. Thank you so much sir. It's been my pleasure. IG/Twitter: @Prendoza_tees
Whatsapp:08050923232 BBM:2B383028 Facebook.com/prendozatees... We're very much active on the above platforms.

Great. Thanks for being here with us Tomiwa. We appreciate you and hope to see more of you in subsequent times.

By the Grace of God. Remain blessed bro and keep up the good work.

That's all we'll have today on Mit Me fams. Stay tuned as we bring you interviews with many more great people who are impacting their world positively. Till next time. Bye for now.
Don't hesitate to suggest who you want us to interview next. Kindly share your opinions in the comments box below.

Stay Connected With Pricherman116 Blog
BBM: 58DD5B5A

Tel: +2348107429333


No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Bottom Ad